- Proven leadership skills. Effective in motivation, consensus building and maintaining high morale.
- Excellent written and communication skills. Background in journalism, marketing, fundraising, social media, web and public relations.
- Able to communicate effectively with diverse groups of people. Good listening and teaching skills.
- Self-motivated, organized and disciplined.
- Independent thinker with creative problem solving abilities.
- Team player with can-do attitude and a good sense of humor.
- Experience developing and executing effective marketing communications strategies.
- Extensive hands-on experience in graphic design for print and web and photography.
State University of New York, Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, N.Y. 2008-2011
- B.S. in Cultural Studies, concentration in Communications
Morris Pratt Institute, Milwaukee, Wis. 2003-2007
- Ministerial Course on Modern Spiritualism with coursework in counseling skills
Rochester Institute of Technology, Henrietta, N.Y. 2001-2003
- Center for Multidisciplinary Studies, College of Applied Science and Technology
Alight Communication – Eugene, Ore. July 2013 – present
President and Chief Storyteller
- Provide engaging, effective communications and marketing to businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Offer expertise in marketing, fundraising, campaign planning and communications strategy.
- Write donor communications, cases for support, annual reports and direct mail appeals.
- Develop and implement social media and online marketing campaigns, manage Facebook, Google+ and Twitter feeds, monitor reputation and referral sites, manage ad campaigns, and provide public relations expertise.
PeaceHealth Oregon West Network – Eugene, Ore. July 2012 – June 2013
- Lead internal and external marketing and communications strategies for three PeaceHealth foundations in Oregon: Cottage Grove Community Medical Center Foundation, Peace Harbor Medical Center Foundation and Sacred Heart Medical Center Foundation.
- Collaboratively integrated marketing communications across the foundations, developing efficiencies in shared resources and reducing costs, while supporting increased fundraising efforts.
- Determined optimal timing, coordination and execution of marketing communications plans—including newsletters (online and print), events, direct mail, web and social media.
- Managed and develop marketing communications budget.
- Analyzed and track metrics to determine success of campaigns.
- Supervised and hired staff, interns and freelance writers.
- Provided marketing communications resources to all PeaceHealth foundations system-wide.
- Proactively implemented consistent branding and messaging in traditional and online communications.
PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center Foundation – Eugene, Ore. March 2011 – July 2012
- Responsible for internal and external communications for Sacred Heart Medical Center Foundation.
- Provided leadership, development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies to achieve Foundation mission and business objectives.
- Identified and communicated key messages in a variety of mediums—print, web, social media.
- Worked collaboratively with hospital clinical and administrative departments.
- Managed media relations.
- Developed and oversaw events and programs designed to foster positive relationships between the foundation, caregivers, community and other organizations.
- Responsible for marketing communications budget.
- Supervised, motivated and mentored staff, interns and freelance writers.
- Awarded several marketing communications awards for donor newsletter, including two MarCom Gold Awards and a Hermes Creative Gold Award.
PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center Foundation – Eugene, Ore. August 2009 – March 2011
- Editor and leader writer for Cornerstone, the Foundation’s donor newsletter. Circulation of 9,000.
- Developed and executed successful communications plan for 2009 and 2010 Employee Campaigns, raising more than $400,000 each year, with highest employee participation in 10 years.
- Recruited, hired and managed communications interns.
- Developed and implemented monthly e-newsletter. Planned, wrote and designed monthly HTML newsletter, troubleshot technical difficulties, tracked and analyzed monthly results.
- Strategized and created marketing mailings: postcards, direct mail letters, invitations, etc.
- Researched and wrote donor proposals, cases for support, business plans and thank you letters.
- Developed, implemented and tracked social media strategy on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube for effective, low-cost donor stewardship and acquisition. Provided social media training to team members.
- Shot and edited video of events and interviews to use in social media. Provided photography and graphic design services as needed.
Earthscribe – Rochester, N.Y. February 2006 – August 2009
Owner, Freelance Commercial Writer
- Provided quality commercial writing services to a variety of businesses—primarily focused on health and education.
- Created clear, engaging copy for newsletters, press releases, websites, blogs, brochures, direct mail fundraising campaigns and other marketing collateral.
- Advised clients on effective marketing and public relations strategies; provided media relations training.
- Consulted on the use of social media and emerging technologies such as blogs, podcasts, Facebook and Twitter.
- Developed websites with user-friendly navigation and design. Proficient with content management systems, databases, CSS and HTML coding. Knowledgeable about search engine optimization, monetizing websites and writing pay-per-click advertisements.
- Designed marketing collateral including postcards, brochures, books, flyers and business cards.
- Hired and supervised freelance consultants.
Rochester Institute of Technology – Rochester, N.Y. February 2001 – January 2006
News & Web Specialist (Office of University News)
- Developed relationships with key university officials and spokespeople for the purpose of promoting RIT in local, regional and national media.
- Researched and wrote press releases, queries and tip sheets. Developed relationships with key media contacts.
- Successfully and consistently placed RIT in news media including The New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, New York Post, Associated Press wire, Knight Ridder, Cox and Gannett newspapers, Woman’s Day, First for Women, Women’s Health and Fitness, Arthritis Today, Contra Costa Times (Calif.) and local print, TV and radio.
- Managed and maintained University News website, overseeing continued strategy, development, design and database projects. www.rit.edu/news.
- Hired and supervised student and co-op web programmers. Responsible for hiring process, setting pay and conducting evaluations and disciplinary actions.
- Wrote feature articles for university publications. Photographed events.
- Won Rochester PRSA PRism Award of Excellence in 2004 for interactive DVD of RIT experts and speakers.
- Established the Tiger Beat Blog: behind the scenes of RIT University News. www.thetigerbeat.com
- Provided media training for faculty and staff members and interview preparation for TV and print media.
Freelance Contract Writer – Boca Raton, Fla, and Rochester, N.Y. March 2000 – February 2001
Copy-editing, technical writing, Web content management and marketing
- Wrote and edited technical documentation. Conducted research and facilitated communication between engineering and marketing departments. Created and updated website content.
- Developed style guides for migration of large customer service knowledgebase into an Intranet. Wrote job aids, documentation and procedures for workflow and communication of technical problems.
- Wrote and copy-edited direct marketing materials, customer service catalogs and sales brochures for start-up dot com. Designed marketing and promotional materials including multimedia presentations.
Crossroads Chronicle – Cashiers, N.C. January 1999 – March 2000
Journalist and Columnist
- Staff writer and columnist for Western North Carolina weekly covering a gamut of beats—from politics and hard news to features, community events and profiles. Subscription rate increased 30 percent. Articles published in several regional papers.
- Hands-on involvement in newspaper layout, editing and proofreading. Photographed events for articles and features.
- Awarded for General News Reporting by the North Carolina Press Association and Best Newspaper by Community Newspapers.
Dream Tree Design – Florida, North Carolina and Rochester, N.Y. December 1995 – July 2002
Owner, Web Developer
- Managed all aspects of business, including customer relations, public relations and marketing.
- Designed original websites and redesigned existing sites for a variety of businesses.
- Actively promoted sites in multiple search engines, increasing traffic. Enhanced site ranking in search engines.
Center for Spiritual Living – Eugene 2013-present
- Music Coordinator
Emerald Valley Marketing Association 2012 – 2013
- Board member, VP Public Relations
Willamette Valley American Marketing Association 2011-2012
- Board member, VP Communications
Charlemagne at Fox Hollow Elementary School 2009 – present
- Webmaster, social media, e-news and technology support
Plymouth Spiritualist Church 2001-2008
- Public relations, website maintenance
Rochester Music Coalition 2003-2005
- Founding member, editor of RMC Music Scene
Genesee Land Trust 2001-2004
- Public Information Committee member, writer for The Preserve newsletter, website design and maintenance